Saturday, March 29, 2014

Publishing, Book Contracts, and Patience.

Nothing in life is ever easy, I can attest to that without hesitation. Ask most woman who have given birth: is it worth it? Besides those few who are probably currently sleep deprived, the answer will be a resounding "Yes!" There are those who spend years in higher learning institutions earning degrees for a specialized career. Is it easy? I wouldn't be the one to tell them that it is and still be within arm's length.


I don't know how many of you know this, but I signed two book contracts with a publisher nearly two years ago. Through some very high ups, and too many extremely depressing lows, I terminated those contracts last year. I crashed smack-dab in the middle of Disappointment Valley knowing that my writing career would be set back by at least two more years. 



I didn't stop writing. In fact, I wrote two more books, honed my skills, took in conferences, and talked to friends who understood the writer in me. I've entered short story competitions, and had them accepted. My name appears in three anthologies, and this winter another one of my short stories will come out in Michael Young's Advent Anthology. So far, I'm a just a little fish daring to swim in a larger bowl. 


It's nearing my predicted loss of time--two years, and today I enthusiastically signed my contract with Hamilton Springs Press/Xchyler Publisher for my full-length Romantic/Suspense novel, RELATIVE EVIL (I sure hope they keep the title!) scheduled to come out this summer. This time, I won't be swimming in dark waters.

And how do I know this, you ask? I did my research on HSP/Xchyler Publishing, and although they're a fairly new company, (Ironically enough, two-years-old) they have a strong staff. Before I signed, I met with Senior Editor McKenna Gardner in person for an hour-long face-to-face conference. Her protectively caring attitude went a long way in my decision. Also, Heidi Birch, the managing partner who sent me the contract, patiently explained clauses I didn't understand clearly. These are just two hallmarks of why I'm besotted with HSP/Xchyler Publishing.  

I'm excited for whatever comes next! 


2 comments:

Diane Jortner said...

I am excited to say that I will be helping you this summer get the word out about your new book. And my son might be submiting a short story!

Debra Erfert said...

Yay!!! What wonderful news, Diane! And I'm happy to hear about your son submitting. Is it to the Paranormal anthology? *fingers crossed*

SNOWDRIFT a romance novel

I have a new novel on pre-order. Snowdrift is my first romance, and I love the characters so much!  Here is what the story is about....