Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Blog Hop, and Firesetters!



Before Twilight, Stephanie Meyers was just another unknown writer. And before Hunger Games, I had never even heard of Suzanne Collins. It stands to reason that there are thousands of fantastic stories out there waiting to be discovered, some published and some still being written.

This blog hop is like a big game of tag, and I was tagged by Laura Johnston. I jumped at the chance to give my little blog some more readership and to give Lo Johnston’s Always a Story to Tell A shout out. You can read more about Laura and her book, Rewind to You, on her blog http://www.lojwriting.blogspot.com/ , where you can then connect with her on Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and more via social media icons.

This blog hop includes ten questions to help you learn more about an author’s current work in progress, so here’s a little info about my current project:


1: What is the working title of your book?

Firesetters


2: Where did the idea come from for the book?



My husband Mike is our city's fire department’s public information officer and photographer. One Saturday nearly five years ago he was called out on a house fire, and he asked me if I wanted to go with him. I jumped at the chance. He grabbed his camera and we were off! By the time we had arrived, there was smoke coming from the roof vents of this beautiful, two-storied, brand new home. It broke my heart knowing what that meant. There was a fire burning in the attic!

The big red fire engines had already arrived and were pulling their hoses. The police were there—watching all the action, just like me. Then, as firefighters went inside, flames started leaping out of the roof vents.

I wondered how the fire started. Seldom is there such a thing as spontaneous combustion, especially in an attic. An hour later, after nearly two dozen exhausted firefighters finally extinguished the flames, an arson investigator was able to get a confession from the boy who had used a barbeque lighter to start his mothers plastic shoe case holder on fire. It was hanging on the inside of her closet door. He had been frightened when he saw it go up, and he didn’t know what to do—so he closed the door and went downstairs, hoping it would go out.

That had given me the idea for Firesetters. Children playing with fire is so common, and disastrous.

3: What genre does your book fall under?




Firesetters is a mystery. The reader doesn’t know “who dun it” until almost at the very end—a typical, yet not a typical mystery. I’ve thrown in a good romance, too, to keep things interesting.

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?



Alex Delaney is the adorable police officer who is Candice Shane's love interest, so if you got Bradley Cooper or Christian Bale to shave and trim their hair, they'd make decent cops, don't you think? 
Now I think I can see Zooey Deschanel as Candice Shane. Candice is always getting into trouble and has a weird sense of humor. Isn't she gorgeous?


5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Good little boys aren’t supposed to play with fire.


6: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?



Firesetters is being published by Walnut Springs Press in January of 2013, so be looking for it.

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?


It took about six weeks to write the rough draft.

8: What other books/authors would you compare this story to within your genre?



 Patricia Cornwell writes a great mystery. She also writes in 1st person, like Firesetters is, although she likes present tense, I can’t seem to do that—yet. And I’d compare my writing to James Patterson, as well as Kerry Lynn Blair. I love their sense of humor and their dialogue is easy going, which is what I’ve tried to do. They also writes in 1st person, but in past tense--like me.


9: Who or What inspired you to write this book?



I’m totally amazed at the courage the firefighters have to enter a burning building knowing the roof over their head is in flames and the heavy tiles could bring it tumbling down on them without notice. I have the same awe with law enforcement. They put their lives on the line every day. This is my nod at our all the men and women dedicated to rescuing us and keeping us safe.  


10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?



I want everyone to know that a portion of each sale of Firesetters is going to be given to Camp Courage of Arizona, and if you buy my book, then you are supporting a very worthy cause!

 The Arizona Burn Foundation’s website:http://www.azburn.org/camp-courage/“Youth burn survivors from around Arizona are invited to attend the week-long Arizona Children's Burn Camp, "Camp Courage", up at the Pine Summit campground in the Prescott National Forest each year. Lots of smiles are seen in the cool pines while campers are horseback riding, mountain biking, fishing, swimming, performing skits, making crafts, and pushing their personal skills during the ropes course. Camp Courage attendance is encouraged for all our young friends who have been hospitalized for their burn injuries (ages 6 – 15 for Campers and ages 16 – 19 for teens in the Leaders In Training [LIT] program).”



Here is a list of authors who will be joining the hop for week 25 on December 12th. I hope you’ll visit their blogs next week and learn more about their books. Maybe one of them will become your new favorite author!





1.Janice Sperry. Janice has a sweet blog called Come Out When You're Happy click over and learn about her new book The Candy Cane Queen. 
2. Kerry Lynn BlairKerry is the author of the Nightshade Mystery Series, as well as the Heart series, plus Closing In, Digging up the Past, This Just In. She also has a new Christmas story out called For God So Loved The One. Come check out Kerry’s blog Here & Now.
3. Julie Coulter Bellon. Julie is the author of eight published novels, including her newest international thriller, All Fall Down. She's the best and most consistent blogger that I’ve ever known. Check out her website http://ldswritermom.blogspot.com
4. More to come...

6 comments:

M. G. Pereira said...

Great post! Sounds like an awesome book worth reading :) It's exciting to draw from one's own life for our stories. It makes them matter more to me.

Rebecca Lamoreaux said...

Hi Debra, This book definitely piqued by interest! Sounds exciting, and I like the choice of actors you would choose for your characters. Um, I don't know if this was on purpose, but you posted a picture of Bradley Cooper rather than Ryan Goslin. Anyway, I am excited for your book and I'm glad you posted this. PS: I followed you too

Debra Allen Erfert said...

Thanks M.G. I write what I know. This is what I was told since I can remember.

*blushes* You're right, Rebecca. I put the wrong name up for that hunk's picture. It is definitely Bradley that I would want playing Alex ... or Christian. Either one would be juuuuust fiiiiine. :)

Bryan Summers said...

I just found your blog. Very cool. And congratulations on your book. Let us know when it is available. Melissa and I plan to buy a copy. We will read it post haste.

Bryan Summers

Debra Allen Erfert said...

Hi Bryan!

So glad you stopped by. I'll be sure to let you know when it's published. I just found out this week that it's been pushed back again. Linda, my editor, said that she had two manuscripts from Deseret Book dropped on her desk that she has to edit first before she can do mine. Busy, busy lady. :) Hopefully early February.

Bryan Suumer\\ said...

Excellent. We can't wait to read it.