Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Contemptible Affection by Ranee S. Clark


A Contemptible Affection, written by Ranee S. Clark, is a regency novella set in 1816 London. I wasn't sure what to expect from Ranee when I first started reading this romance. I know her to write fantastic young adult fantasies. She's an incredible editor. I've used her services. So really, I guess I didn't expect anything less than perfection when it came to this novella. Ranee didn't disappoint me. 

Admittedly, I'm a sucker when it comes to historical/regency romances. I love the elegance of the flow--of their clothes, of their speech, even of their mannerisms, and Ranee did a beautiful job showing us this through her words. 

Romance stories are somewhat predictable--as they should be. You know, girl gets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy in the end. But I can honestly say that Ranee wrote an ending that I would've never imagined. No! I'm not going to give you a hint and spoil it for you. 

Here is a link to Ranee's website. Go there and enter into her Regency Extravaganza and maybe win a copy of A Contemptible Affection, but also you could win an actual signed copy of Sara Eden's latest Regency, An Unlikely Match


A Contemptible Affection will not be released until October 22, but because I want you to seek out this story and read it, I want to offer a $10.00 e-gift card to one of you who leaves a comment. I'll reveal to you who wins the drawing on Saturday. How's that for a lure? 

Oh, please leave your email address or you might not get notified that you've won. 

Here is a short blurb on A Contemptible Affection.

After Lord Dersingham spurned her last season, Iris Colburn promises to never allow him back into her heart, despite his excuses, his long-standing connection to her family, or the fact that she once loved him.

But upon her return from Paris, Iris finds it is more difficult than she expected to keep Lord Dersingham at arm's length. His presence at nearly every social function Iris attends reminds her more of their blissful past than the sting of his rejection. Worse, she fears she is falling for him again.

If it wasn't for his outrageous behavior, that is. He asks Iris' father for permission to court her -- again -- but then showers attention on the disreputable Miss Halliday.

Iris doesn't know what kind of game Lord Dersingham is playing, but with her heart and her pride on the line, she will do anything to win.

Just so you know, I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of this novella, but I plan on buying it after it comes on the market so I can have it in my Kindle. Love my Kindle Fire! 

Now got to Ranee's blog and be entertained! I am. 

9 comments:

Ranee` said...

Thanks for reviewing, Deb! You are so fun and amazing. :D (And this is not an entry in your contest. ;)

earwaxtasteslikecrayons said...

Well, THIS totally IS an entry to your contest. (And if you would stack the odds in my favor, that would be even better.) Thanks, Deb!

Wendy Jones

Debra Allen Erfert said...

Well, Wendy, if you're the only commenter, then the odds are all in your favor! lol. Stay tuned!

emfawcett said...

Sounds really intriguing! I'll definitely have to check it out! (this is also an entry)

Debra Allen Erfert said...

Ah! Now we have a competition!

Rob said...

I have to say, your review is right on! Ranee's writing iis fabulous and this novella is no different! I would love to enter for yr drawing, but I'm pretty sure I can get a signed copy straight from the author, she is my daughter after all :)

Debra Allen Erfert said...

Hahaha! Hi, Rob, nice to meet you. Yes, I'm sure your daughter is more than willing to give you a signed copy, but I'm sure she'd appreciate it more if you bought it! You are entered into the drawing even though you didn't leave an email addy. I'll know how to get a hold of you. ;D

emfawcett said...

emfawcett@yahoo.com

Debra Allen Erfert said...

Hahaha, emfawcett! I got your email addy from the other entry. Why, you ask?

SNOWDRIFT a romance novel

I have a new novel on pre-order. Snowdrift is my first romance, and I love the characters so much!  Here is what the story is about....