Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back


I first "met" Sariah Wilson almost six years ago when I was introduced to the Six LDS Writers and a Frog blog by the esteemed Kerry Blair, author of such light-hearted mystery romances such as "Ghost of a Chance," and "Mummy's the Word," and "This Just In" while at one of her book signings in Phoenix. I would clicked into that website Monday through Friday where most of the time I could read the witty posts of a blended family of writers so diverse yet compatible they never had a harsh word for each other. You don't get that in most blood-realated families in these times.  
I had just started writing, and being able to "hang around" other writers while they talked about their individual experiences in publishing was priceless. I'd never read a blog before--didn't know what one was--until then. It took me weeks to work up the courage to actually leave a comment. My hands shook like golden aspen leaves in a strong autumn breeze while I typed those few words knowing for sure I would come off sounding totally stupid. I only received encouragement from these good people. Sariah Wilson had found the best of the best when she recruited Jeffery Savage (aka J. Scott Savage), Julie Coulter Bellon, Kerry Blair, Robison Wells, and Stephanie Black. Nobody knew this except for one person, but I even guest-blogged the part of the ugly frog once. Or maybe it was twice--I can't remember. 

Now, a year after Six LDS Writers and a Frog broke up, Sariah has written one of the funniest stories I've read in such a long, long time. I literally couldn't put it down. Yes, my poor Kindle's battery died and I was attached to a short power cord, contorted in a very uncomfortable position while I read to the end. 

Now, sad to say, Sariah has a mean streak in her. She exerted some devious emotional blackmail. In order for her to write the sequel to The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back sooner rather than later, she wants the word out about how totally fabulous TUSSB is. Okay, I admit my backbone isn't as strong as it use to be, and I bend like a willow if someone breathes heavy in my direction, but I truly need to read the next book, and the thought of waiting a whole year is just devastating! 

Just to make this clear, I am not apposed to bribery! I am offering a $10.00 Kindle e-gift card for the luck person whose name my cat claws from my husband's cowboy hat. Sariah's e-book doesn't cost half that much, so you would have enough left over for another book of your choice. All you need to do is leave your name and email addy in the comment section or you won't be in for the drawing next Saturday. 

To order The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back just click on the title and you'll be whisked away to Amazon and for less than a box of movie popcorn, you'll have a delightful afternoon read where you won't be able to stop smiling even if you tried. 

"The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back" is a sweet contemporary young adult romance.

Here is the book's blurb...

Everyone knows how all those fairy tales go. The princess gets beautiful, nabs her prince, falls instantly in love, lives happily ever after and leaves her evil stepsisters in the dust.

But what happens when you’re the ugly stepsister and your obnoxiously perfect—read pretty, smart, and, worst of all, sickeningly nice—stepsister is dating the charming, tall, devastatingly handsome guy you’ve had a thing for since you were nine years old?

Quirky, artistic and snarky Mattie Lowe does not lead a charmed life. Her mother is constantly belittling her on Skype. Mercedes, the school mean girl, has made it her personal mission to torment Mattie. But worst of all? Her stepsister Ella is the most beautiful, popular girl in school and is dating Mattie’s secret longtime crush, Jake Kingston.

Tired of being left out and done with waiting for her own stupid fairy godmother to show up, Mattie decides to change her life. She’ll start by running for senior class president against wildly popular Jake. 

Ella can keep her Prince Annoying. Mattie’s going to rule the school.

And no one, not even a cute and suddenly flirty Jake, is going to stop her.


19 comments:

Sariah Wilson said...

Debra, I can't believe you did this. Too amazing. I'm ready to cry. :)

Debra Erfert said...

There's no crying in baseba--er, in publishing! Write, write, write that second book, Sariah. My toes are tapping!

I meant what I said about beta reading for you, just so you know. :)

Sariah Wilson said...

I'm pretty sure after I'm done writing the next one I'm sending it to you first. This was so wonderful of you to do.

The Eborns said...

Elizabeth Eborn eeborn@gmail.com

Debra Erfert said...

Yaaaayyy, Sariah!

Hi, Elizabeth!

Joan Sowards said...

What a fun premise. The Ugly Stepsister is bound to be an interesting story.

Debra Erfert said...

Joan, since you didn't leave an email addy, if Polly, my cat, should happen to pick your name from the hat (the drawing, remember?) I'll message your Facebook and let you know. Right now you stand a 50/50 chance along with Elizabeth. We have till next Saturday though, for others to enter. :)

I'm re-reading the story right now, and I'm lovin' it just as much as the first time.

Stephanie Black said...

Aww, Debra, thanks for the memories of the Frog Blog! And that's awesome that you were the frog (I didn't even know that!).

Sariah's book sounds great! I want to be entered in the drawing! My email is emailstephanieblack at gmail dot com.

Debra Erfert said...

Yes, my being the Frog that special time was a tightly guarded secret. Back then I was a very, very, very insecure writer.

You are officially entered, Stephanie. Sariah's book is awesome.

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Debra, your blog post is fun and witty, and the book sounds like it is too. I'd love to win a copy - or the card so that I can purchase a copy.

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Woops! Sorry. I forgot to include my email addy: writingartist@yahoo.com

Debra Erfert said...

Gotcha, Tina!

Annette Lyon said...

What a generous thing to do!

The Frog blog was a big-time favorite of mine and so many others. It really was a sad day when it was disbanded..

annette@annettelyon.com

Debra Erfert said...

I know this sounds ridiculous, but it felt like I was losing dear friends when Sariah announced the blog was disbanding. I knew that a few of the Froggers had their own blog, but they didn't keep it up every day, or even every week, that was until Julie Bellon started her own blog, and then I didn't miss SLDSW&aF so much--I was still connected by her tether.

Annette, you are officially entered!

swerra said...

Sara Werra palmirage@gmail.com

Lo said...

I'm excited to check this book out. What a fun giveaway! Thanks, Debra!
- Laura locherry03@hotmail.com

Debra Erfert said...

Hey, Sara and Laura! Welcome! Big day is tomorrow!

Stacy said...

Sounds like an excellent read. Love your blog. Stacy Johnsonteammom@yahoo.com

Debra Erfert said...

It is, Stacy. You're entered, too!