Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sparkfest--Day 3

What sets off your imagination?


I have to admit, a sunset may be beautiful, and can be on the top of some peoples inspirational list, but they're too calming for me, and I end up yawning and reaching for my pillow. Sunrises . . . well, the same thing. (I'm not a morning person.) But when I listen to music, I can see all sorts of adventures going on in my head. I'm sure the recording artists, aka singers, would be happy that their music did more than just get our toes tapping and butts wriggling. Face it, if music didn't grab the audiences heart, the big movie companies would not invest millions of dollars into orchestras to create a scene of movement, making us go faster, or slower, keeping our pulse in pace with their tempo. And they would end their productions with the sound of the film flapping and the lights coming back on.

I have the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean-The Curse of the Black Pearl, and I listened to it while I wrote my novela. It inspired every word--made me see the waves as the ships coursed though the ocean along with the music. I hope writing can be the same way. If we use our words right, then our readers can feel what the characters are going through, can be frightened, or filled with joy. The last thing we would want to happen is . . . nothing. How sad would that be? Indifference? No emotional connection at all? Might as well put down that pen, uh, close that laptop down and find a new . . . no! Learn how write better. Take a seminar in writing. Go to conferences, there are so many out there. Let your love show through, and listen to the music that inspires your heart.

10 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

Yep.
Music does it for me, too.

I have a whole book planned off a song I wrote about 5 years ago or so.

Jackie Jordan said...

How God made people so different. When I write, I enjoy being engulfed in deafening silence. To hear my heart beat is acceptable, but the flow and train of thoughts roll steadily in the somber quiet of the night. Of course, in my car I like Classic Rock, loud!

Kate Larkindale said...

Music can be such an inspiration! I have whole stories that sprang from songs. But I don't listen to music while I write much. I find the lyrics distract me. If I do listen to music I like stuff in a foreign language or without words.

Debra Erfert said...

Fortunately for me the Pirate soundtrack had no words, at least that were discernible. I have to admit that there are times that total silence is the only way I can write. Even people talking in the same room--especially people talking in the same room can drive ideas right out of my mind. But, oh, how the sounds of instrumentals can drive the soul!

Classic rock is wonderful. I can sing most of the lyrics--as long as nobody else is in the car with me. lol. But I love modern country music, which is more like classic rock every day and why I've fallen in love with it so deeply.

I agree, if you listen to the lyrics you can get new ideas for stories. Yep, the world can't be without music.

Debra Erfert said...

Jo, did you say you write music? How cool is that? I'd love to hear anything you've done. That is one realm that I can't do anything with but listen, really. My singing is better left unsung, or, like I said before, done very much alone. I bet you have a great singing voice. Those touched with the talent for making music usually do. How wonderful. I'm "green."

M Pax said...

What a great soundtrack to pick. Music is fabulous for inspiration and mood. I'm more inspired by moonrise. :) Nice meeting you.

Debra Erfert said...

We had a moonrise this past summer where we thought it had touched the horizon, it was so huge and bright. Seriously big and scary.

Kaylee Baldwin said...

Whenever I'm blocked, I'll go listen to music. And each of my books has one "theme" song that I'll listen to to get in the right writing mood.

When I'm actually writing, though, it has to be instrumental because I get waaaaay too distracted by words. :)

Crystal said...

Ah, music, it can definitely be a big help for writer's block. I like to listen to something while I'm writing, just to have some background noise, but I have to confess I try not to listen to anything with words because then I'm too busy singing along to write! Lol... One of the reasons I have the classical station playing on the radio instead of classic rock!

Christine Tyler said...

The Master and Commander soundtrack is like that for me. :) Great spark!

I WON!! KINDLE SCOUT campaign A STRANGE TWIST OF FATE Part 3

I got an email from the Kindle Scout program! I made it! After 30 days of a campaign where A Strange Twist of Fate continuously stayed o...