Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Book review Wednesday

It seems everyone I know has one day of the week dedicated to book reviews on their blogs, and not wanting to be left out of the latest fad (really, I still have toe socks in my underwear drawer) I decided to start writing reviews on all those books I’ve been reading over the past who-knows-how-long.

So from now on I’ll have Book Review Wednesday on my blog. Okay, it might end up being, Book Review Wednesday on Thursday, or Friday, depending on how lost I get in the ceramic Nativity sets I’m painting (that’s for another days post), or if I start writing another book, or if the manuscript I just finished actually sells, (be still my heart!) my goal is to review one book a week. And today I’m starting with my new friend Julie Coulton Bellon’s just released e-version international romantic suspense novel, RIBBON OF DARKNESS. The printed version will be released later this month.

Disclaimer: I bought this myself! The following is not a paid endorsement! Ahem . . .

First off I’ll let you read the book blurb.

A split-second decision could change the world’s darkest hour to one of triumph--but who is willing to pay the price? Kennedy Campbell has been running away for a long time--using her position as an international journalist to escape the ghosts of her family's past. She finds some solace working in an Afghan refugee camp, until the Taliban attacks them and Kennedy is forced to flee. She is pulled into a terrorist's realm of darkness as she fights to save those around her, but will it come at the expense of her own life? Ethan Barak leads a double life, helping MI-6 bring down arms dealers all over the world until his father is murdered by an old associate. Ethan makes his next mission a personal vendetta by tracking down the killer to Indonesia. While there, he finds himself in a position to either avenge his father or stop a terrorist attack on the Malacca Strait that will jeopardize innocent lives across the world. Can he look past his father's murder to save others? The line between justice and mercy is blurred with each passing second, and international intrigue becomes intensely personal as the age-old struggle for redemption is brought close to home.

Sounds exciting? I thought so too, so I clicked and bought the e-book. In the very first pages I was literally pull into Kennedy’s struggle to stay alive, I felt like was soaking wet and being sucked under the water next to her. From the very beginning the action took off, leaving me annoyed when I had to break away from my computer to do little things, like, oh, eat! No, I’m not going to tell you what happens other than Kennedy and Ethan cross paths and sizzling sparks of attraction ignite between them. I finished reading this romantic suspense in one day—that doesn’t happen a lot for me.

Julie’s storytelling ability and writing skills has been honed razor sharp over the years since she had her first of many books published. Her soon to be released, THROUGH LOVE’S TRIAL, DANGEROUS CONNECTIONS, 2010, ALL’S FAIR, 2008, TIME WILL TELL, 2006, ON THE EDGE, 2005. This BYU journalism teacher won’t let you rest until the end of the book, so take a deep breath, get comfortable, and start reading. RIBBON OF DARNESS receives 5 STARS for suspense, excellent writing, and tender, sweet romance.

3 comments:

Marsha Ward said...

That's a great initial book review, Debra! Thanks.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Great job. And a sweet romance, too? I'm in!

Jolene Perry said...

Nice :D

Sounds fun!

SNOWDRIFT a romance novel

I have a new novel on pre-order. Snowdrift is my first romance, and I love the characters so much!  Here is what the story is about....