The women have been really excited at Mormon Mommy Writers to see their Followers growing. In the last few months they’ve passed the 200 mark! I was their 223rd, just so you know.
Because of this they wanted to do something special. Something to show their readers how much they appreciate our support. So they are going to hold the first ever (and hopefully first annual) Mormon Mommy Writers Fiction Contest. Isn’t that totally cool? I’m writing mine right now.
The fiction contest will run from today, April 2, through May 31. Submissions will be accepted until midnight, mountain standard time, on May 31. Winners will be announced June 15.
The end result of this contest is the publication of an ebook. That’s right. We could see our writing in digital print! The nice folks over at MMWs guarantee the top three winners a spot in the ebook. And, depending on the quality and quantity of submissions, we will select more to be included in the compilation. But we’ll get into those details with another post.
Lets find out what the promised prizes are:
1st Place--The first place winner will receive a $25 Amazon gift card and three ebooks in addition to a copy of the upcoming MMW ebook Totally Cliché.
2nd Place--The second place winner will receive a $20 Amazon gift card and two ebooks in addition to a copy of the upcoming MMW ebook Totally Cliché.
3rd Place--The third place winner will receive a $15 Amazon gift card and one ebook in addition to a copy of the upcoming MMW ebook Totally Cliché.
**All other submissions accepted for inclusion in the compilation will receive a free copy of the MMW ebook Totally Cliché.
Now that we’re all excited (and they’ve got our attention) let’s get down to business. Here’s the contest breakdown: (Warning, it’s long, but its worth it.)
1. Their theme will be Totally Cliché. What this means is they want us to go out there and have some fun with one or more of the many banned writing clichés out there (you know, the things agents and publishers supposedly hate). For example you could begin your story with “It was a dark and stormy night.” Or, your hero could be “tall, dark, and handsome.” You get the picture. The more creative your spin on the cliché the better your chances (though good writing will always win the day). Pick any cliché you like and have fun!
2. The word count is 3500 or less. This count includes body, title and author’s name. 3500. No more. Not a word. And they mean it!!!
3. Content must be clean. They will be the first to admit that this is completely subjective. Their version of clean may not reflect ours. So here’s a general rule of thumb: No swearing. No gratuitous sex (never thought I’d post that line). No vulgar romantic stuff. And no graphic violence. The characters DO NOT have to be LDS. They’re open to a lot. Just make the content clean. Show them how creative you can be. Warning: any attempt to glorify inappropriate behavior, for example drug use, will get you booted from the contest.
4. Every writer is welcome to submit up to two stories.
5. There are no professional restrictions. This means entries will be accepted from both published and unpublished authors alike. Whoo hoot!! Everyone will be judged on the same things so make sure your work shines!
6. Any and all submissions must be the original work of the submitter. By entering the contest, each participant accepts responsibility for any liability incurred by false claims of authorship. (Clear as mud? hehe. That was a cliché, just so you know. No plagiarism allowed or you’ll get in trouble and not them!) Submissions cannot be previously published anywhere, including online, and cannot be subject to publishing rights from other parties.
7. The big question: Who can submit? Answer: Anyone. That’s right, even those of you with a Y chromosome are welcome to enter your work (i.e. men). Really, they hope that you do! Religious affiliation does not matter and will have no bearing on the judging. Anyone and everyone who feels inclined to participate is welcome to do so. Don’t let their name stop you.
8. Judging will be done by the seven contributors of the MMWs blog.
9. Stories selected for the compilation are subject to first publishing rights only. They reserve the right to include the work in unlimited ebook sales with no hold beyond that. Since They can’t guarantee any sales of the compilation anymore than they can guarantee a profit beyond our incurred expenses, there will be no compensation beyond the prizes listed above, monetary or otherwise.
Guidelines for Submitting
1. Submissions should be emailed to: email@example.com
2. The subject line should read Totally Cliché.
3. The top of the email should look almost EXACTLY like this:
Fanny Price (Your name)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Your email address)
fannywrites.blogspot.com (Your web or blog address---if you have one)
Cliché(s) you are using
4. Below your personal information, paste (do not attach) your submission. Please include the title and author name before the body of the story.
Well? Are you psyched? I am. I’m already a page into my story. How about you? Think of your favorite cliché and one or two scenes and start writing.
I got an email from the Kindle Scout program! I made it! After 30 days of a campaign where A Strange Twist of Fate continuously stayed o...
The letter H is the topic of today's challenge, and since I know a very nice lady's subject is probably hyphens, I'll identify s...
. Holiday Sale! 38 e-books--28 authors at .99¢ or Free! Debra Erfert Changes of the Heart $.99 AMAZON | KOBO | BARNES...