Friday, July 30, 2010

Intruding Dreams

My dreams have been intruding into my life. Actually, I think I've been worrying about certain things, and those things have been coming out in my dreams. For instance, I've been dreaming about my youngest son, and not in a good way. He'll either be running away from bad guys, or falling off a cliff, or something just as disastrous. I know these types of dreams are telling me that I'm worried about that particular child, for what ever reason.

But for the past few nights I've had the most realistic dreams that have bordered on nightmares. I would wake up being able to remember only flashes of what my mind created during the REM stage, but it’s during those tiny fragments that I understand what's worrying me.

For instance, during one dream that was sci-fi oriented I used a drawing pencil as a universal translator when I hung it around a struggling stranger's neck by a shoestring. If that had been the only drawing related piece of equipment that I could identify, then I would have concentrated on the surrounding scene instead of the pencil, but over the past few nights I've had dreams with other nods toward my artwork in it. Not surprisingly, I have a huge project lying on my drawing table that I've been avoiding while I've been finishing a re-write. The painting is promised to a new mother and the manuscript is only for me. My selfishness had put her gift on the back burner, and that isn’t fair to her, and my sense of guilt has seeped into my subconscious.

Yesterday morning I pushed aside my attempts at writing a synopsis and sat down at my drawing board. When I picked up my first pastel stick and blending stub, I could feel the tension melt away. It’s been slow going, like I knew it would, but with every stroke I know I’m chasing the guilt-filled nightmares away.

Hmmm, a drawing pencil as a universal translator. I think there’s a story in that!

3 comments:

Pat said...

I'm a believer in the power of dreams - it's true that some of them are just a crazy mish-mosh of things that go on in the day (or too much Chinese food,) but there are those that prick at our subconscious to bring things to the forefront.

You've picked up on the 'art' clue, but I'm curious to know what's going on with the son?

You might do well to pay attention to that clue too...

(Just my 2 cents.)

Anyway, yeah - the pencil/translator thing WOULD be interesting...

"I've been delving into fantasy trying to find some inspiration for a new project. I started with Hans Christian Anderson - disappointed there, but my daughter lent me a book of Irish Fairy Tales...

Fascinating!

Debra Erfert said...

Adam (the son that I've been dreaming about) and Diana (his new wife of about six weeks now, FedEx'd off her application for change of Visa status yesterday. They've been gathering all required information, (seven different I-forms plus over 1,300 dollars in fees) including her shots records, which they misplaced during their move to Salt Lake City but were able to get replaced when she went into the health center to get an updated TB test. (They photocopied it as a part of their record. Lucky, huh?)

Anyway, at the beginning of this week Adam got an email from the human services department of the border patrol requesting a medical update. The five simple questions sounded like it might be the last things they need before they give him a final physical agility test and then an academy date.

We're also trying to get the reason from Arizona Western College why they secretly decided two of the classes Adam took don't count anymore and now he's not getting his degree we thought he finished this past December. He filled out the petition papers we sent him, and I sent them to our friend who’s the Dean of Instruction, and now we're waiting on her investigation. All these things coming together seem like they/we are doing the Lindy, blindfolded, through a mine field, and we're just trying to stay in one piece.

Pat said...

Hmmm, yeah, I can see where that's coming from now...

I WON!! KINDLE SCOUT campaign A STRANGE TWIST OF FATE Part 3

I got an email from the Kindle Scout program! I made it! After 30 days of a campaign where A Strange Twist of Fate continuously stayed o...